Delicious recipe for Portuguese Spicy Lamb and Chickpea Soup, or Sopa de Cordeiro com Grao. This is a unbelievably rich and flavorful soup which is possibly my favorite Portuguese soup to eat. It is a very healthy soup which is perfect for times when you are especially hungry, as this is a really hearty meal on its own. The induction of Portuguese style spices like paprika and piri piri makes this soup have quite a flavorful kick to it. The ingredients are a bit more complicated than usual but the directions are very simple and this soup can be made without the fuss.
1 pound boneless lamb cut in cubes
1 onion chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
5 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon piri piri (or hot sauce if you do not have piri piri)
1/2 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 carrot diced
1 red potato diced
1 zucchini diced
3.5 oz fresh green peas
Mint to garnish
1) Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-heat.
2) Add the lamb and cook until evenly browned on all sides.
3) Remove the lamb when browned and set aside in a bowl.
4) Reduce the heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook and stir frequently for about 2 minutes.
5) Add the water and return all the lamb to the pan.
6) Bring to a boil.
7) Once it reaches a boil immediately reduce the heat and add in the tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, oregano, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, paprika, and piri piri (or hot sauce).
8) Let it simmer for about an hour or until the meat is tender. Throw away the bay leaf.
9) Stir in the chickpeas, carrot, and potato and let is simmer for 15 minutes.
10) Now add the zucchini and green peas and continue simmering for another 15-18 minutes.
11) Once done and the vegetables are tender, pour into bowls, garnish with mint, and serve while hot, enjoy!