Carne de Porco à Alentejana is a traditional Portuguese Pork and Clams dish which originates in part from the Portuguese region of Alentejo. It is a true exemplification of Portuguese cuisine, simplicity, rich flavor, and unique combination of ingredients. This is seen with the combination of clams with pork, what at first might seem an unusual combination complements each other very nicely and both contribute to a rich and flavorful sauce which is truly unique. This simple and easy to make recipe lets you make this delicious Portuguese dish without the fuss.
1/2 pound littleneck clams
1/2 pound pork fillet, cubed
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 bay leaf
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 chopped onions
1 and a half cups Portuguese white wine
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chopped tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed chillies
handful chopped fresh parsley
1) In large bowl, combine wine, paprika, salt and pepper to taste; blend well.
2) Add the sliced garlic cloves, bay leaf, and cubed pork, and mix. Let it marinate for at least 4 hours, turning occasionally.
3) Remove pork; reserve the marinade. Pat pork completely dry. Discard the bay leaf.
4) Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in large frying pan. Add the pork, stirring frequently so that the meat browns quickly and evenly. Transfer it to a bowl.
5) Pour the reserved marinade into frying pan and bring to the boil over high heat, scraping off any brown bits clinging to the inside of pan. Boil uncovered until marinade is reduced by 1/3. Pour over the pork and set it aside.
5) In a saucepan, heat the remaining oil; add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until onion is soft but not brown. Add minced garlic, tomatoes and crushed chillies. Simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
6) Spread the clams over the sauce; cover the saucepan and cook over high heat for ten minutes or until clams open. Stir in the pork and marinade. Simmer for 5 minutes to heat thoroughly.
7) Sprinkle with the parsley on a platter and serve with some bread to enjoy all of the sauce!