This is a recipe for the very popular and traditional Sopa de Tomate á Alentejana, which is a Tomato Soup dish from the Alentejo region in Portugal. It is a tomato soup dish with the induction of a couple of uniquely added ingredients which make for a very flavorful and rich soup. With the addition of eggs and pepper it makes this soup quite hearty and healthy and perfect for those who want to eat a nutritious but light dish at any time of the day.
2 lbs of tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 potatoes, deskinned and cubed
1/2 cup olive oil
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cups water
2 teaspoons tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
1) Place the tomatoes in a saucepan on low heat with water until they are softened, then remove from the saucepan and chop them finely. Set aside in a bowl.
2) In a pot, boil the olive oil, when hot add the onion and garlic and let them brown a bit.
3) Add the tomatoes, green pepper, potatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and tomato paste and let it cook for about 15 minutes until the tomatoes break apart and the potatoes are well cooked, stirring occasionally throughout.
4) Now add the water and bring to the boil. Stir it well.
5) Once boiling immediately break the eggs open into the soup and let them cook very until the eggs become poached. Immediately pour the soup into bowls.
6) Serve with some bread on the side for dipping and enjoy!