Lentil and chickpea soup, or sopa de lentilhas com grão, is a very typical Mediterranean style soup. This hearty and nutritious soup is absolutely rich in flavor and perfect for just about any occasion. It can be made quite easily without much fuss. Enjoy.
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large saucepan, add the olive oil, chopped onion, garlic, and celery. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
2) Pour the water, vegetable broth, lentils, chickpeas, tomatoes, paprika, and teaspoon of salt into the saucepan. Stir it well.
3) Let it simmer for about half an hour on medium low heat while covered, until the lentils are soft and tender. Keep stirring occasionally.
4) Once done, season with salt and pepper to taste.
5) Pour into bowls and serve.