Duck is a unique and traditionally eaten food in Portuguese cuisine. Because of this, there are many interesting and delicious combinations of enjoying duck in the Portuguese style of cooking. This variation, Duck with Apricots and rice, deviates from our more typically simple recipes but is just as delicious and is not difficult to make. Duck is a great combination for the addition of apricots as it perfectly absorbs the rich and sweet flavor. We are sure you will love this delicious Portuguese dish.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon paprika
Pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
1 cup rice
2.5 cups chicken broth
2 confit duck legs, skinned and meat coarsely shredded
1/2 cup thinly sliced chouriço
1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
1/4 cup diced dried apricots
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large frying pan, heat the oil until it is simmering.
2) Add the onion and garlic and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
3) Add the tomato and cook until softened. Now stir in the paprika and saffron.
4) Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add half of the broth and gently simmer until absorbed, 8 minutes.
5) Stir in the duck, chouriço, olives and apricots and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the remaining broth and bring to a boil.
6) Bake the skillet in the oven uncovered until the rice absorbs the liquid and is tender, about 14-16 minutes.
7) Serve while hot.
This is a delicious recipe. I love duck and apricots so, I am planning to cook this for Thanksgiving dinner with my family.