Sonhos de Banana are an amazing and decadent dessert from the islands of São Tomé and Príncipe. It is also eaten in Brazil by the same name. This is a typical beignet style fried banana treat that is simple and easy to make, and is definitely sure to please those with a sweet tooth!
*Makes around 12 Sonhos de Banana*
4 bananas, peeled
2 tablespoons sugar
1.5 cups flour
½ cup milk
cinnamon & sugar to dust
oil (for frying)
1) Mash the bananas with a fork and mix with the 2 tablespoons sugar and 1.5 cups flour.
2) Whisk together the milk and egg, then stir in the banana mixture to form a batter. Set aside.
3) Mix together cinnamon and sugar to taste in a separate bowl and set aside.
4) Heat oil in a deep fryer or saucepan to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. (If in a saucepan leave on low heat once it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit)
5) Pour the batter 1.5 tablespoons at a time into the hot oil and fry for about 4 and a half minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until the donuts are golden brown.
6) Drain the sonhos on paper towels and serve dusted with the cinnamon and sugar to taste. Enjoy!
I know this recipe i have it in the portuguese colonial cookbook in the sao tome and principe page