This is a simple & easy recipe for traditional Portuguese Roasted Mackerel, or Chicharros. One of the most popular and traditional dishes in Portuguese cuisine, I have enjoyed this dish more times than I can count and it just never gets old. This type of dish truly exemplifies the best aspects of Portuguese cuisine, fish made with a simplicity in style but delicious in taste. Roasted Chicharros maintain a rustic and unique taste yet they can be made without all the fuss. We are sure you will love this dish as much as we Portuguese do, so try it out and tell us what you think!
2 pounds Atlantic horse mackerel
5 garlic cloves chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
Pinch of thyme & rosemary
2 lemons halved
1) Mix the mackerel in a bowl with the olive oil, chopped garlic gloves, thyme, rosemary, and 2 teaspoons sea salt. Let it marinate covered for 25-30 minutes.
2) Prepare a baking sheet with some pan spray, preferably olive oil spray.
3) Place the bowl of fish and contents onto the baking sheet.
4) Put in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes on 375 degrees fahrenheit.
5) Once they are done and well browned remove the mackerel from the oven and let them rest on a serving platter to cool for about 5-10 minutes.
6) Once ready serve with lemon wedges on the side for extra flavor.