This recipe is a quick and easy take on the Portuguese steak (Bitoque). Portuguese steak is usually thin, quick to cook and filled with spicy flavor. You can add a spicy red pepper if you really want it hot and spicy or you can fry an egg and place it on top of the steak when you serve it. Usual sides are fresh cut french fries, rice or salad.
1 Steak fillet, 1/2-inch thick
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine
5 garlic cloves, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
1) First we want to marinade the steak.
2) Place all the ingredients together in a bowl except for the egg and a tablespoon of olive oil. Let it sit in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. You can leave it in the fridge marinating over night if you really want the flavor and spice to be absorbed into the steak.
3) Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into a large sauté pan or skillet and heat on high for two minutes or until just smoking.
4) Remove the steak from its marinade and place in the center of the pan. Pour the marinade over the steak and cook the steak for 1 minute on the first side. Then flip the steak over and cook the other side for about 2 minutes until it is well browned.
5) Remove the steak from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving so the juice can redistribute throughout the meat. Fry the egg in the same pan sunny side up and serve it over the steak.