Queijadas, or Portuguese style cupcakes, are the most typical and traditional of Portuguese dessert making. Queijadas de Amêndoa, or Portuguese Almonds Cupcakes, are one of the more unique variations of this kind, and gives a great deal of unique texture and flavor from the induction of crushed almonds to this traditional Portuguese treat. For those with a sweet tooth like myself, these are perfect. Try it out and tell us what you think!
*Makes 12 Queijadas*
1/2 cup or 125 ml water
2 egg yolks
2 oz. crushed almonds
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cupcake baking sheet
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
12 cupcake baking papers
1) Preheat the oven 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Place the water and sugar in a saucepan on medium heat and bring to a boil.
3) Mix the eggs with the yolks and almonds in a bowl and then once it is an even consistency, add to the saucepan with the water and sugar.
4) Stir the contents in the saucepan with a spoon until it reaches a smooth and even consistency. Once done, pour the mixture in a bowl and mix with the flour until it is smooth and consistent.
5) Now prepare the cupcake sheet by greasing it with some spray oil or butter.
6) Place the mixture in the saucepan in the baking sheet molds and cook for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
7) Once done, remove from the oven and dust with the powdered sugar and cover with the chopped almonds. Serve on a platter and enjoy!