Biscoitos de Azeite are sweet Portuguese Olive cookies that are are richly flavored with a great texture. These cookies are one of the more signature and unique dishes in Portuguese cuisine that are truly emblematic of the Mediterranean cuisine. They are really simple and easy to make without much fuss but are sure to impress.
*Makes about 25 cookies*
1 cup sugar
1 cup Portuguese olive oil (If you can not find this locally, you can buy some here on Amazon)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 lemon rinds
1.3 pounds flour (about 3 and 3/4 cups)
1 egg yolk for brushing
1) Preheat the oven to 355 degrees Fahnreheit.
2) Mix the eggs with the sugar in a blender until it reaches a creamy consistency.
3) Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl and then add them to the blender. Blend the mixture until it is a smooth and even consistency.
4) With the dough, knead and mold balls with a cookie cutter or your hands, forming them into your preferred shapes.
5) Once the cookies are formed, brush them with the egg yolk and then place them on a greased baking sheet.
6) Bake in the oven for about 13-15 minutes or they have reached a golden brown color.
7) Once done, let cool for half an hour, then serve.