Coscorões are a very typical Portuguese dessert during the Christmas season. They are sweet and crunchy fried dough pieces with a nice orange flavor to them. They are similar to Portuguese malassadas but are differently shaped and have the addition of a nice cinnamon finish. They are perfect for enjoying during the Christmas season and are always sure to impress.
3.5 cups flour
water as needed
1 pinch of salt
1 orange rind
1/4 cup sugar
1 stick melted butter
1/4 cup brandy
oil for frying
sugar and cinnamon powder for covering
1) Mix the sugar with the butter in a bowl.
2) Add the eggs, brandy, flour and salt and knead well.
3) Add water if necessary and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
4) Let the dough rest covered in the bowl for at least one hour.
5) Shape the dough into rectangles with a dough roller, to a thickness of half an inch. Make two cuts in the middle of each piece.
6) In a deep skillet with 2 inches of oil on high heat, fry the pieces one by one until golden brown. Once they are done frying place them on a platter with papers towels to dry.
7) Once they are all done frying, cover them in sugar and cinnamon powder. Serve while hot.