Tarte de Amêndoa, or Almond Tart, is one of the most popular desserts in Portuguese cuisine. It is one of the most simple and easy to make tarts that are just as good as any complicated cake. The smooth flavor of chopped almonds combined with a sweet filling and a flaky crust makes for an unbelievable tart that is always sure to impress. This recipe does not require you to make a homemade crust to make it as simple and easy as possible, although you can also make the crust at home if you’d like.
2.5 cups slivered almonds
1 stick of butter (100 grams)
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 premade pie crust
1) Toast the slivered almonds on a baking sheet in the oven at 330 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes until they are slightly browned.
2) Prick and press down on the pie crust with a fork to prevent any bubbles from forming in the crust when it cooks.
3) In a saucepan on medium heat place the almonds, butter, sugar and milk and stir it well.
4) Let it cook until the butter is melted and the mixture is even and consistent.
5) Now remove from the heat and pour onto the pie crust.
6) Place it into the oven for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until the top of the tart is golden brown.
7) Once it is done remove from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve.
Someone made this dessert as a gift for us and it was a hit. It is by accident I came by this recipe and am very pleased
Hey there. Do you know if you have to keep this cool after baking?
Hi Rebecca, I usually leave it to cool for 10 – 15 minutes after it is done baking in order to achieve the right balance of heat and taste. After serving, you may leave the tart covered in the refrigerator over night in order to best preserve the flavor. It can keep for a couple of days if necessary. The real problem is making sure it doesn’t disappear before that!
Thanks for this recipe I just tried it over the weekend and I slightly roast the almonds at 165 degrees C for 20 minutes until just slightly golden and then found out that 2 cups were not enough for my 25.5cm tart pan so I added 1 cup of unroasted slivered almonds and mixed with the roasted and I came to the conclusion that roasting the almonds makes a better tasting tart. Thank you once again.